Tuesday, May 22, 2007

the luminous mysteries

It just occurred to me (and I'm sure it's probably spelled out purposely in Rosarium Virginis Mariae) but the 5 luminous mysteries are strung together beautifully by the Gospel statements which encapsulate each.

1. The Baptism in the Jordan - Matthew 3:17
And lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

2. The Wedding Feast at Cana - John 2:5
His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."

3. Proclamation of the Kingdom of God - Mark 1:14-15
Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, 15: and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the gospel."

4. The Transfiguration - Matthew 17:5
He was still speaking, when lo, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."

5. The Establishment of the Eucharist - Luke 22:19-20
And he took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." And likewise the cup after supper, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."

There is such beauty in the way these phrases flow from one to the next - affirming, instructing, and establishing the scriptural, liturgical, and sacramental life of the Church, and the spiritual path each of us is called to walk. It's not rocket science, and it's not something only available to the intellectual and accomplished. These are the words of the Gospel that flow with the Holy Spirit for all. By embedding them in these Luminous Mysteries, John Paul gave all the faithful a means to learn them and lean on them under the care and guidance of Christ's Blessed Mother. I'm very grateful to him for this pastoral gift.

No comments: