Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Not as the world gives...

I was reading the beginning of Job, ch. 40 the other day and it struck me how God is describing to Job what humanity will eventually do to his Son.

And the LORD said to Job:

2: "Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it."

3: Then Job answered the LORD:

4: "Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer thee? I lay my hand on my mouth.

5: I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further."

6: Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind:

7: "Gird up your loins like a man; I will question you, and you declare to me.

8: Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be justified?

Job had asked in Ch. 31 for just this type of judgment on himself - so that he could see if there were indeed reasons for his suffering.

33: if I have concealed my transgressions from men, by hiding my iniquity in my bosom,

34: because I stood in great fear of the multitude, and the contempt of families terrified me, so that I kept silence, and did not go out of doors --

35: Oh, that I had one to hear me! (Here is my signature! let the Almighty answer me!) Oh, that I had the indictment written by my adversary!

36: Surely I would carry it on my shoulder; I would bind it on me as a crown;

37: I would give him an account of all my steps; like a prince I would approach him.

38: "If my land has cried out against me, and its furrows have wept together;

39: if I have eaten its yield without payment, and caused the death of its owners;

40: let thorns grow instead of wheat, and foul weeds instead of barley." The words of Job are ended.

And we are told that when it says the words of Job are ended in Hebrew it simply reads:

Tav in Hebrew - the last letter of the alphabet. The origins and functions of this letter are quite interesting when considered in the light of this passage from Job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taw_(letter)

Tav was translated into Greek as Tau. This is a letter whose imagery and meaning we are all familiar with.

Peace of Christ,

JV

2 comments:

Cougill Spot On said...

You don't know me, but I came across your blog and the last 3 chapters of Job are some of my favourites and I just had to write a comment. I don't think I knew that about the signature...thanks for sharing.

For Him,
Cat Cougill Hoosier on location elsewhere

Johnny Vino said...

Thanks for reading! I just started this to be able to write ideas about faith and scripture down that I have trouble remembering later. I didn't think anyone would drop in. I checked your blog out - praise God for the work you're doing. I really agree with you that we've got to live the faith like this is a "post-Christian" world. Doing that with charity is a real challenge for me.

Peace in Christ,
JV